Monday, May 11, 2009

Teacher Certification Tests in Boston

We got back from Chacala Monday night, and all Tuesday I studied for the Math certification test I was going to be taking on Saturday. By passing the test, I would be able to teach in MA public school if I want and it makes me much more marketable to international schools so I can continue with my travel plans.

Unfortunately, there weren't any official full length practice tests and so I had to look up the different topics and find problems to practice. Matt teaches 6th grade math and he was nice enough to let me borrow 3 different math text books. I went through each one and felt pretty good about the material. However, many of the things covered in the text books weren't topics on the test and so most of the time I was looking things up online.

We were scheduled to start school back again on May 6th but got word that students wouldn't be coming that day and we would be having a meeting to tell us what's going on. It turned out that only High School students would be coming for the rest of the week and the others would be coming the following week. And, they still gave us the same advice about making sure to wash our hands, etc. The rest of the day, we cleaned our classrooms... well, I did yearbook stuff since I was already supposed to turn it in.

The time off turned out to be a good thing for me because I had already asked for Thursday and Friday off as I was going to Boston to take the teacher certification test and I was only going to be missing one class.

And so I studied all night Wednesday and then Thursday Kerry and I headed to the airport. We had heard that a lot of flights were being canceled and wondered if ours had been. Fortunately they had not and we got on smoothly. I finally got into Boston around 11:40 and caught the bus to meet my grandma. We had a great time catching up and didn't go to sleep until around 2 AM.

Friday was her birthday and we somewhat celebrated by going to her bowl-off game. It was fun talking with her friends there; they had some really good stories. I needed a new backpack and so after bowling we went to LLBean to look and found a really great one. The rest of the day and night I had to study but was exhausted and took a nap. The nap lasted too long and I wasn't tired when I wanted to be that night so again I went to bed around 2 AM.

The tests were brutal. The content wasn't that tough; it was more the length of tests. I was literally taking tests for 8 hours with a 45 minute break in between. Thank goodness that is over. I think I did well, but I'll wait for the results because you never know.

That night the grandmas and I went to eat Chinese food and then hung out with them and Ed. At the restaurant we ordered drinks and I was carded hahah. It was fun recalling stories and looking at pictures.

Sunday morning, I woke up at 3:45 AM to drive to the bus station to catch my flight in Boston at 6:30 AM. It was a long day of traveling to say the least.

I also found out Saturday night that school is canceled for another week but we are sending assignments to students. This whole situation is quite strange. I really hope they don't add days to the end of the school year as I do want my summer vacation... and it might affect when my Masters courses will be offered, which would affect when I'd be leaving. More to come space cadets!

No comments:

Post a Comment