Thursday, June 24, 2010

Butterfly Farm - Guácima

I'm currently in Alajuela, Costa Rica; it is only 3 km from the airport and is a good place to travel from. Yesterday, I got up around 5AM and got on a bus to Heredia to look for the school where I am taking my Master's class. From Heredia, I took another bus to Tibás and walked around asking people where the school was. In Costa Rica, there aren't a lot of addresses per say... there definitely aren't street signs and you get directions by different known places such as stadiums or stores.

I wasn't in any rush and wanted to get familiar with the town I would be in and walked around for a bit trying to find a place to stay for when I would come back. I did find the school though and immediately felt a weight lifted. I couldn't find a place to stay unfortunately but I knew it would work out somehow. And today, I got an email saying that I have a place to stay in Moravia so now I'm really happy.

When I got back from my trip yesterday, there were about 10 people in the hostel and all of them were super nice. I got to talking with one couple, Jon and Deana, who are super cool. They came down here to do a volunteer project where they teach locals how to farm more sustainably. We walked around town together and got some cerviche which was delicious and then hung out for a couple of hours at the hostel.

Today, we went to the Butterfly Farm together and it was something special. We got there earlier than it opened but they let us in the garden to walk around. Almost immediately a butterfly landed on me. As I was exploring the garden the Halloween butterfly landed on me a good 4 times and I aptly named him Mini-me.

The tour was great. They put out rotting bananas which the butterflies really like for 3 reasons.

1. Sugar
2. I can't remember the reason
3. Because the banana is fermenting and the butterflies like to get drunk hahah

We saw all the different stages of the transformation. Did you know that most butterflies don't live more than 2 months? We saw butterflies having sex (which they have 1 time in their lifetime and it lasts between 12 and 24 hours). Butterflies can even fly when having sex... actually the female is the one that flies while the male just enjoys the ride hahah.

The farm we went to exports 8000 chrysalises per week! They do get chrysalises from other farms though.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Monteverde to see the cloud forest there and possibly Volcán Arenal!

No comments:

Post a Comment