Sunday, April 8, 2012
Thailand
5 years ago I studied abroad in Sweden and I just met up with 3 of those friends in Thailand this past week. It was loads of fun. Thailand itself is incredible; hot as hades and everything is really cheap especially the food. I had Pad Thai almost every day for a week I love it so much.
I had fun bargaining for prices at the market and people watching and of course dancing. The best part of the whole trip was when my friends and I did a kayak tour and camped out on the beach. We woke up and saw the sun rise on the water and it was one of those indescribable feelings where everything is right and everything is at peace. We had a few of those moments during the trip. Another time was when our Thai guides instructed us how to make an offering out of banana tree leaves and flowers and three candles. We then paddled out in the night into a cave that opened up into an oasis of mangroves, lit the candles, made a wish and let it drift away with the current. The fire flickering, the soft echo of nature's silence around us... it was incredible.
Some other highlights of the trip were seeing my friends overcome some of their fears and gaining confidence in themselves. Everyone is at different stages in their lives and being able to be there for someone is priceless. Jumping off the top of a boat, teaching my friend how to talk with women, teaching my friends how to dance, and even just being comfortable expressing one's feelings were some minor but at the same time major events that we as friends made happen.
And there were all the events and things we saw too... our hotel and view at the Shangri la were spectacular, we went to Muay Thai matches, saw a fire show, saw moneys swimming underwater and in the trees while we were kayaking among other things.
So I have to go back to work this week but on Thursday my Italian friend is coming to visit me and on Saturday we are meeting up with 3 Thai friends and we get to see the Cherry Trees blossoming in the national park. The following week, I get to go to Dalien, China with the soccer team. First time in China! I'm stoked!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment