Tuesday, January 30, 2007

January Happenings

School started back really quickly. I had to be back early in order to train for my housing job (Jan 3) and the semester started on the 8th. My room is nothing like it was in Sweden. It is about the same size but double the furniture and I have a roommate. His name is Trip and he is a pretty cool guy - probably one of the best roommates I've had. Still it is sometimes weird to have a roommate since I'm used to not having one.

I really miss the air of Sweden - there is a lot of smog here and I already feel less healthy. It is somewhat cold here, but most of the time it is quite warm when compared to Lund.

My classes this semester are nice. I'm taking a model-making class for fun and it is a lot of fun. We have learned how to carve out foam really well, use the metal and wood lathes, and the mill. I wish I only had this class and grades didn't matter. I think I would spend all of my time in there learning. However, my other class is a furniture building class. So far we have learned a lot about oak and wood in general. We gone on a few field trips too. One of the main projects this semester is to build a piece of furniture out of oak for a competition. And whoever wins the competition gets a cash prize! There are a lot of good woodworkers in my class so I don't really expect to win, but it would be awesome if I did. To practice for this competition, we first researched how furniture in different stores were built. Then we made a simple box using miters and splines. I am really happy with how mine turned out and I'd like to make others if I had the time.

I'm also taking a Professional Practice class and it is mostly reading and class discussion. In my free time, I have been updating my resume, applying for jobs, and trying to hang out with friends that I haven't hung out with for a while or ones that are leaving.

I'm trying to find a job doing something international and today I went to the International Internship Job Fair. I've also applied for an international job where I'd be teaching Film Production in Spain for the summer. Then in the Fall I want to go to really any other country and travel whilst doing odd jobs. We shall see. I really need time to get my stuff in order.

This weekend is the Superbowl (American football championship) and my friend is djing at a club. I will also have part of my project due on Monday, so there won't be a lot of time for applying for jobs...

I'll be coming back to Europe from March 16-25 :-P. When it gets closer to the time, I'll update ya. Since I have no Keaw here, I have only taken pictures from today. Hah, I need a new camera.





2 comments:

  1. Ah ah, Giovanni, your pictures are so funny!!!
    If I didn't know you, u would seem a serious person ;-)
    And, by the way, u need to work less and have more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, u look nice in the pics, handsome handsome ^_^

    and I assure u that u will have tonsssss of pictures in Paris, just tell me :)

    ReplyDelete