Monday, April 2, 2007

End Table II

Spring Break started for me after my presentation of my end table on Friday the 16th. The 2 weeks leading up to that were busy as ever. I worked 13-16 hour days to make sure I got it finished and looking professional.

I was in robot mode. I was in a daze. Everything became a process that was started and completed. My worked became part of my break time too. I spent an insane amount of time sanding and a few times when I was eating, I caught my mind drifting. I was thinking to myself, "Hmm...I wonder how long it would take to smooth out this food and what grit sand paper should I use to make the best use of my time?"

The grip of my hands was fiercer than I had ever imagined it could be. That came from sanding so much as well. I would use the hand sander and it would vibrate so much and spin all over the place so I had to grip harder and put my weight on it as well. It was weird because when I would turn it off, I think my blood took on some of the vibrating attributes and my whole arm tingled for a good 5-10 minutes.

Anyway, I ended up getting everything put together and put 3 coats of polyurethane on it by Thursday afternoon. Then I made a cushion that is "hidden" between the 2 shelves. When Thursday night rolled around, I had an essay that was due at midnight for Professional Practice and I needed to design and print a 18 x 24 poster for my furniture presentation.

So Steph, Kate and I went to the library and pulled an all-nighter. Luckily for us, at the presentation, they fed us breakfast and lunch. I was the 3rd to present and the judges seemed to really like it, so I was quite happy. I stayed awake for 4 more presentations but realized that I fell asleep during the end of the 5th. So I went upstairs to the computer room and took a little nap. :-D

While we ate, the judges deliberated over who would be the winners of the competition. I had a flight to catch, so I didn't hear until the following week who had won: Marissa, Jess, Katina, and Nick (Honorable Mention).

Everyone liked the back of my end table the most, but I didn't have a solid idea of what it should do. Now that I look at it, I think it could be marketed as a versatile end table - the user could flip it on to any of the 4 sides and get a different look. I was originally going to market it as a end table that you could lean against comfortably, but maybe my curves are too subtle.


No comments:

Post a Comment