"How ya doing Nathaniel? You need anything?"
"I'm okay, no. I think I'm done now."
"Okay, so you are feeling better then?"
"Oh yes, much better."
As we walked him to his room, I asked, "So did you eat something bad for dinner or are you sick?"
He opened his door and says, "No, my stomach just started hurting after taking a shower; I don't know why...hold on..."
And he scurried down the hall back to the bathroom. I checked with him every 10 minutes or so and although it was sad to see him in such a state it was kind of funny because he tried to be accommodating by denying that he felt bad.
"Feeling any better?"
"Yes, so much bet...hold on..."
After about an hour he admitted that he felt bad: "You can just leave me here and turn off the light." I thought for a moment...a pillow and bed made of porcelain and bathroom tile ewww. "Sure, just let me know if you are too cold" and I turned off the lights. Just kidding! I sent him to his room with a bucket and he was fine. He thanked me on Friday by bucketing me with a pail of water: the prize he had won in the raffle. David (aka "Long Haired Kid") pied me in the face first so it was good to get some of it off my face.
We did a Shrek theme for our names this week and so I am named "Merry Man" - one of Monsieur Hood's henchmen...or all of them combined...I don't know. I'm a "merry" person for the most part and so I found it a fitting name.
Call of Duty is a First Person Shooter computer game, and it is a lot of fun; it is even more fun when it is the counselors against the students because we are better than them and fewer in number. Sometimes even when it is my night off, I come back and secretly play. And that is what I did this week.
So to disguise myself on the game from the campers, I sneaked into the side room of the computer lab, got on and named myself Santa Claus since he is also a very merry fellow. The whole game, I heard from the other room exclamations: "Who is Santa Claus!?" "Santa Claus keeps killing me!" "Ahhhhhhhhh! I HATE SANTA CLAUS!"
I've never heard children express hate for Santa Claus before and I definitely wasn't expecting that they would hate him so much. Next time I'll have to be the Easter Bunny.
Every night before the overnighters go to bed, we have them shower. This week there were campers that tried to fake it. Not a good idea when we can smell them. So after Isiah tried to lie about showering 2 days in a row, Liz made an announcement to all the overnighters: "You HAVE TO SHOWER! You have to change your clothes every day."
One of the overnighters who is older but none the wiser interrupts her, "Who would do that?"
Always trying to protect the actual children she is trying to reprove reputation, she berated Michael for not showering some of the other weeks. To which, Isiah responded, "That's okay! I lied too!"
Teaching scripting is hard; especially in a week. So Thursday night I ended up rebuilding a student's whole project and fixing errors until 3 AM. On Friday, Liz took all the staff out to dinner and bought us t-shirts. It was awesome. I was so tired from the week that I went to bed at 8:00!
2 weeks left until I'm done! Mandy (the lass from Ireland) leaves next week. I'm going to miss her a lot. She is just a bubble of fun and tells some really great stories. I think this week will be much better because we only have 10 overnight campers.
I might have a job in Mexico teaching at an Elementary school! I'll probably find out sometime today or tomorrow. I'm really torn though because I want to go to other countries like New Zealand, Iceland, Italy, Spain or Brazil and just travel. But I know I'd love this job a lot and I would hopefully have to practice my Spanish.
Here are some of the pictures from the week. As always, you can go to www.internaldrive.com/photos to check out some mo'.









No comments:
Post a Comment