I had a really great week. I got caught up with almost everything at work and am starting on two projects that I really want to do. Victor got sick and was out 3 days and so I subbed one of his classes. Luckily he was back in good form for the remainder of the week.
Friday, we went to Moon, to the movies to see Fame and then to Asia de Cuba to dance some Salsa and Meringue. Saturday, the school did a cleanup project at one of the beaches from 8 AM - 11 AM. I wasn't too excited about working that early on a weekday but once I got there and started, I got into it. It looked like it was in pretty decent shape when we got there but we definitely took a closer look and picked up a lot of crap.
Mike, Gretchen, Adam and I then went to a beach (Playa Manzaliña) that wasn't really well marked and we practically had the beach to ourselves. We did some snorkeling for about an hour or two. I know I say this every post, but IT WAS AMAZING!!! We swam out pretty deep: I would say the ocean floor was maybe 50-60 feet below and we could still see everything. The corals are spawning in this time period and I don't know if that was the reason or if it is just normal, but we saw a ton of fish and schools of fish and it was beautiful. We even saw a Tiger Ray (stingray)! I love this place!!!
After, we wanted to get some local food and so we stopped at a BBQ place we had seen when we were on our way to the beach. Unfortunately, they had stopped cooking and so Mike asked for suggestions to any other restaurants that were local and served "traditional" food. Cornelia's was great. Rice, salad, fish fillet with a honey sauce! And the lady that owns the restaurant came to us and gave us a sample of the traditional cactus meal she was preparing for herself.
We then went to Cost-u-less (kind of like Sams Club) and I got some things I needed for my house and they bought a grill. We grilled out that night and the food was fantastic of course.
Sunday, I woke up around 8 and biked to the Hilton to take a Discovery Dive. A lot of teachers told me they were planning to show up but I was the only one. I didn't care though; I was just happy to start diving. The instructor, Jeremy, taught us the signals and skills and we went down about 35 feet! It was great. I felt like I was in an aquarium: I was totally surrounded by fish and life. We even saw a moray eel out in the open. There were a ton of coral and christmas tree worms (the worms that look like xmas trees and when you get near, they suck back into themselves for protection). It was incredible.
Mike and Gretchen had been invited by some parents to the Yom Kippur service and so they invited me. Before going though, we went out to eat at one of the restaurants by the water. I had some great garlic shrimp. Delish!
None of us had ever been to a Jewish service and were interested in what it would be like. To me, this is why I signed up for the type of job I am in; I get to see other cultures and customs and learn about things that I probably wouldn't just staying in one place. It was a nice service and I saw a lot of parallels between it and other religions. It was good to go because I suppose it made me think of things that I don't usually.
No comments:
Post a Comment