Saturday, June 30, 2007

UNC Week 2

Last year I taught 3D Game Design and I didn't really like it. This year was worse because of all the scripting involved. I majored in Computer Science for the first 2 years of college thinking that I would want to work for Pixar or a company like it, but I really just can't get into coding. And so I switched to something that would all me to interact with people more - Industrial Design. Now I'm teaching that which I don't like hahah. Consequently, I spent many late nights looking through their script and fixing errors and looking up things they wanted to do that weren't in the curriculum. Their games look awesome, but I'm so glad the week is over.

It was also somewhat stressful because we had almost double the amount of overnight campers we had the previous week and we had an extended day camper as well. (He is pretty much an overnight camper that doesn't spend the night.) In addition, the newspaper came and the TV station came and I was promoted to Lead Instructor, which gives me a lot more responsibility. Hassan somehow hurt his leg and couldn't walk at times and Justin, the Regional Manager (Liz's boss) came and inspected us this week too. I was glad that he came though because he really helped me solve some technical difficulties and scripting errors in my class.

This week I dressed up like Luigi from the Mario Bros. The kids loved it. Nathan even made a flash animation of Luigi smashing a Play button when you click it. They recorded my voice saying "Wahooooo!" and it even made it on the news (I'll put a link for this when I find it). He did another animation of all the instructors dancing. The news also showed 2 of my students' games so I was quite proud of them. And in another class, a student made a game where you could "fight" the big instructor heads roaming around the level.

Last week when we went to the dining hall there were maybe 2 other groups and so we had plenty of space to sit. This week the dining hall was packed and I definitely got more looks dressed as Luigi than I had planned haha. The same happened to Shawn, an overnight camper, though for different reasons. He is a giddy 12 year old Indian boy obsessed with women. He talked with this Indian girl from another camp in line and she was sitting outside when we were and he kept talking about her. So I told him to go talk with her. At first he wouldn't because he was scared, but when I offered him 2 tickets he did it and he got her phone number. The only problem was that when he called it, she had given him a fake one. And 2 days later when we were coming in the dining hall, she and her group were coming out (there were about 12 of them) and they started laughing at him. Geez! Little kids are mean! I felt pretty bad for him but he wasn't phased. Failure didn't matter to him. He had now talked with a girl and his mission was to talk with every girl he could. That got old for me pretty fast. "Shawn, quit bothering her!" Eventually I had to tell him that if he wanted to talk to me I didn't want to hear anything about girls. hahah

We have a policy at iDTech camps where you can't say any D's - no Demeaning, Dissing, or Diminishing. Marcus is a preteen as well and was having someone test his game. They mess something up and I heard him say "Hey! Don't do that! You cut off his testicle!" Hassan heard this as well and said "Hey man! Don't say that!" Marcus responded, "But it's not a D" to which Hassan replied, "Yeah, well there are no D's and no T's aight!"

This week Liz was pied and Nathan splashed a bucket of water on me. Go to www.internaldrive.com/photos and click on week 2 for more photos.



No comments:

Post a Comment