Sunday, October 28, 2007

Free courses and the week

I found out from a Clark Howard email that UC Berkley is offering 300 free online courses. You don't get credit for them or anything but it is like auditing a course. Pretty cool idea. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ucberkeley

This week was really busy. To start my masters, I have to take a bunch of tests and take a precourse and the college is like 45 minutes away by bus. So I had like 14 hour work days for the most part. Fortunately the precourse ends this week :-D. Unfortunately in mid-November I have another week long course coming up. And next week I have to take the Mexican equivalent to the GRE - Exanni III. I think I'm going to do bad since it is in Spanish and there will be a bunch of vocabulary that I don't know. However, luckily the school takes a lot of different factors into account.

On Thursday, I was able to take a break and go to a soccer game here. There are 3 teams for Guadalajara and the Chivas are the best of those 3. So in case you switch on the tele to the Spanish channel and you see them playing you can think of me heh heh. They lost yesterday but I saw a really pretty goal and I had a good time.

Friday we had a half day at school for a Halloween celebration. Everyone dressed up and it was so much fun. I dressed up like a Backstreet boy I guess heheh. So many people were taking pictures, so when I get some I'll post them. When Mary Carmen drove me home she told me that all the moms thought I looked great hahah. "Que guapo!" and "Es como un mango!" were some of the phrases. It never occured to me that looking like a mango was good, but apparently it is one of the top compliments you can get.

Since I am the computer teacher, the students all come to my class regularly. Because of the celebration, there were no classes and I spent most of my time going from class to class with the gym teachers dancing and getting the kids to dance to Lionel's African drum. I got so many hugs and high 5's it was great. We had 2 "parades" - one for Pre-Kinder through Pre-First and the other for 1st-5th grade. I jumped into both :-P.

I had class at CUCEA Friday and when I got home, I was soooo tired and went right to sleep. I was supposed to go to a costume party Saturday with Esme and Ale but when I woke up at 7AM my stomach hurt more than I had ever felt before. I went back to sleep and woke up at 11AM and my stomach was still hurting, so I went to the pharmacy and got some Pepto Bismo. That helped a bit but I was still in pain. Anyway, I slept all day Saturday except for like 4 hours. And now I feel pretty good but I'm going to take it easy just in case.






4 comments:

  1. What are you trying to get your Master's degree in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning Technologies - it explores how to better teach while using technology and how to teach technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a perfect major for you! Is the degree recognized in other countries (ie America) or are you never coming back?!?

    Also, what free courses are you taking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I think I'm really going to like it. It is a pretty new major so I'm not entirely sure. However, the administration here said that they have had 2 people go to the States and they didn't have any problems getting jobs.

    I will eventually come back :-D. Right now I just want to travel and learn about people and cultures. So it may be a few year before I come back "for good."

    Free courses...I'm going to try to take all of them haha.

    ReplyDelete