Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Rock Concert

Hugo, my friend from the IT department at the school, invited me to go see his brother's band perform at Hard Rock Cafe yesterday. I invited everyone in my house to go but only Michaela was free. When we got on the bus, there weren't enough seats and so I was standing in the isle about midway down. I looked up to the front to see where we were and realized I was looking in the rearview mirror and the bus driver was looking directly back at me. He blew me a kiss. I was so taken aback that I didn't react and all and continued staring at him. Thoughts breezed by with casual randomness. Did that really happen? Surely he was looking at a girl that was looking in the mirror too. What?! No one else is looking straight forward. Weird. Why did I have to pay to get on the bus if he is hitting on me? Chump.

When we got to the show, it turned out to be a competition between 6 bands and the top 2 would advance to the semifinals. Enrique's band's name is Jevel and they were the last to go and definitely the best. The first 2 bands were aweful - all of the band members were in high school and though I was impressed with their talent for their age, it was just bad. So Jevel will play again at the end of the month and I'll probably go to cheer them on. I really liked the venue. I've never been to a concert in Hard Rock before but it is very initmate and you almost feel like you are on the stage.

On the drive back, we saw prostitutes and a policeman standing 10 feet away not caring. And apparently here the majority of them are actually guys dressed in drag. Mary Carmen gives me a ride to school every day and she was complaining, "You know they look too good sometimes and it's just not fair. Women already have to compete with better looking women but now we have to compete against better looking men too! It's just not right."

When I got back, I was really tired and went right to sleep. But I would not be asleep for long. The mosquitos were thirsty for something sweet, and 25% chinese. Unfortunately, I am the only one that fits that description in the house. I was awoken at 2 by a mosquito biting my lip. I slapped my mouth hard. @!&*!!! I looked around...nothing. (By the way, as I wrote that line a mosquito attacked me and I killed the sucka hhhhhhaaaa!) I went back to sleep. My eye was next !@#$%!#$%!!! I went back to sleep and pulled the covers over me and wrapped myself like a cocoon. It was hot though and during my sleep I must have unraveled my cocoon some because I bit again in the ear. I was pisssssssed. I contemplated writing a song about how much I hate mosquitos, starting a website fan club for those that hate mosquitos, figuring a way to hunt mosquitos like they hunt us. Dammmmnit, I hate mosquitoes.

When I "woke up" this morning I was fuming. I got out of the shower and was getting dressed and spotted one. I followed her (the males are the huge one and don't bite I've been told) but lost her in the light. Then I spotted another one! WaaaaaaamMMMMM! Blood sprayed in every direction in my hands. There was another! Bam! Swat! Bam! I missed! Nooooo! Wait, there she is again! Kiiiiiiiiyahhhh! No blood from this one, but one more threat eliminated. I wanted to kill more but didn't see any. I think I could make it my life mission to kill mosquitos: I have so much distaste for them.

Since they are requiring the teachers to use Technology in their classrooms at least once every 2 weeks, I've been coming up with some creative solutions for them so they don't feel too overwhelmed. It isn't really easy to do when they have 20+ students crowded around 1 computer. And, there are only 2 projectors to check out for the whole school and more than 40 teachers. We also have a SmartBoard that they can check out and so today I reviewed how to use it so I can give a demonstration to them. It is really cool because you can place it on your white board and write your notes and they will be recorded on the computer. Or if you have a projector, you can also control your computer on the whiteboard.

This week I've been teaching my students how to draw in perspective and they've made some pretty cool things in paint. I'm going to try to do more artsy things in class too and have them make portfolios of their work. I'll try to post some of them tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. John,did you just quote me?? nooooooo, firs you must say that the guys in Lopez Mateos REALLY ARE GOOD LOOKING or people will start thinking that mexican girls are uglyer than men LOL.
    Mary Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, this is your Aunt Lauren! I read your blog regularly, but didn't know how to add a comment. So when I saw there was a comment, I clicked on it, and hopefully this will work.

    Please invest in a mosquito net for your bed. That way you can stay cool enough at night but not be subjected to those disease-carrying bloodsucking mosquitoes.

    ReplyDelete