To get to the soccer field each Saturday, I ride my BMX 20" bike. It has pedals with metal spikes. I like to do jumps and weave in and out of the way of things on my way there. I lost my balance and my shin crashed into the metal spikes of the pedal. Oww. Though it hurt like the dickens, it wasn't bleeding when I looked at it and so I kept riding. When I got to the field, I looked down and it looked liked someone with braces had bitten my shin. I have 7 equally spaced blood pellets in an arc. The other team didn't show up and so we played amongst ourselves which was a lot of fun...until a ball was blasted right into my shin hahah.
After, I went back and showered and then headed off for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The test was sooooo long but I laughed because in the listening parts there is peaceful music in the background before the instructions. Anyway, Stefano, I don't think your dream will come true. I aced it :-P.
Eli and Alejandra (my flatmates) left Friday afternoon for Leon and so I had to catch the bus there on Saturday after the TOEFL. Leon is about 3 hours away and I went there because Eli's sister, Christina was having her Quinceañera - 15th birthday. In the United States most girls have a big celebration on their 16th birthday (the Sweet 16). In Mexico, they have it for their 15th. I can't really compare the 2 because I have never been to a Sweet 16, but I was really surprised with the hugeness of the Quinceañera. She had around 300 guests and did a couple of choreographed dances with like 8 of her guy friends. There was a catered dinner and open bar and a marachi band at the end and of course tons of dancing. It felt more like a wedding reception to me than a birthday party. Everyone was dressed up and they handed out streamers and masks and glow sticks. I found out today that sometimes parents will give the girl a choice between traveling somewhere or having the party. Mary Carmen, my friend who gives me a ride to work everyday took the travel choice and went to Canada for a year of study. I would personally take the travel over the party too, but I'm glad there are those that choose the opposite so I can attend their parties hahah.
The table that I was sitting at was a lot of fun and everyone wanted to dance. I ended up dancing for like 3 hours and my legs hurt a lot. And because I came with Eli, and Eli helped to organize the party, our group was one of the last to leave - around 3 or 4 am. I slept like a baby.
When India, Eli's friend from Australia, came down for breakfast, they asked her what she wanted to drink and she asked for water. They brought her tequila hahah. Apparently, it is customary the morning after a Quinceañera to have tequila. They also served us Menudo, which is cow stomach. I tried it and I didn't really like it because of the texture but I ate as much as I could to not be rude. Luckily, they also served tortillas, beans and cheese which I thoroughly took advantage of. Eli has a big family with 6 siblings and so the house was full. Made me miss home.
Irma is Eli's friend from work and Irma and Irma's husband, Miguel, went to the party as well. Miguel is from Uraguay and took a year and just traveled Europe. She is from Mexico and didn't know him and was traveling Europe as well. They met in Rome and ended up being in the same cities later on and ended up getting married and now live in Mexico. How cool is that?
For lunch we went to a street shop for guacamayas which is a typical food from Leon. It is like a sub bread with chicharon or pig fat. It looked and tasted a lot like pork rinds. Unfortunately I had just eaten was wasn't hungry enough to order one. I had a mini taco instead.
In the car to Leon, there were 5 people and it is a 5 seat car. On the way back, I was added. For the first half hour, I was squeezed in the back seat with Ale, Irma, and India and it was really uncomfortable for all of us. And so after much readjusting, it turned out best that I lay down across their laps for the remaining 2 and 1/2 hours. Sounds exotic I know and I have to admit it was fun but I would have much rather had a seat with leg room haha. My leg with the injury was in almost constant contact with the door and my feet were contorted oddly. And if Eli took a sharp turn or went over a speed bump, I think I felt it the most. It was so lovely when they had to go to the bathroom and I was allowed to stretch!
It was a great weekend and I'm very grateful to have been invited to see and participate in the celebration. I barely know Eli and with her simple act of kindness gave me experiences and memories and perspectives that could have easily missed.
By the way, I haven't shaved in 2 weeks if you are wondering why I look different in the pictures. The kids at school are all complaining about it, but I've never really tried it before so I thought I'd give it a go. Today I got a haircut and shaved though, so I think I'll get some funny reactions tomorrow :-P











Look at you rocking that facial hair, you big stud.
ReplyDelete