Sunday, March 30, 2008

Carne en su Jugo

Because there are two Mariana's in the house, I'm going to refer to the Brazilian Mariana as "La Wera" and Ale's sister, Mariana, as Mariana.

This whole week, I haven't had to teach or go to class and so I've been working on various projects like a flash site for my Masters and editing photos that I have, etc. It has been fun to do because I'm learning how to do things on my own. However, the rest of my housemates are in classes and on Friday, La Wera invited me to go with her to her classes. She told me she was studying marketing and design. I was immediately interested. Her first class was at 10 and was an art class. They were going to be learning Indian ink which is a black and white painting technique.

When we got there, Mariana asked the teacher if I could come to which she responded that I could. It was a 3 hour class and a lot of the students didn't show up. Out of the 15 that were supposed to be there only 3 came. And then there was me a one of the other girl's friends.

Well, I had never really had painting lessons and the teacher told me that the Indian ink was a pretty hard technique and it might be better if I started off with water colors. Sounds good to me. So I first had to draw what I wanted to paint in pencil and then run an eraser over everything to lighten it. Then I had to paint starting with the lightest color going to the darkest. And if I had to paint a large area, she told me to wet the brush to wet the entire area first so I would get and even tone. The class was so much fun and you can see the a photo of my art. However, the teacher helped me a lot with mixing the colors and with suggestions so I have to give her most of the credit. She was very impressed with it though and invited me to come to class again the next time I don't have to teach. I really hope I can go back.

Giovanna is one of Mariana's friends from Pre-school and is living in Guadalajara now while she is studying. She was living with her sister but her sister had to leave this semester for an internship and so she was in the apartment alone this week. To help her feel more comfortable, Mariana spent the night over there this past week.

On Tuesday, Giovanna and Mariana were leaving to go to Giovanna's house and they got in a wreck. Luckily no one was hurt though and they just had to spend 3 hours filling out forms etc. Two days later, Mariana's neck was hurting and she went to the doctor who gave her a neck brace. She only has to wear it 10 days and is being a good sport about everything.

Yesterday, Ale had a group project with Carlos and Rodrigo and afterwards they invited Mariana and I to go out to eat to a restaurant named Karne Garibaldi to have "Carne con su Jugo." I didn't really know what that meant (I mean I know it literally means "Meat with your juice" but that didn't sound too appetizing to me) but I like trying out new foods so I was in. They told me in the car that this restaurant was the fastest service I'd ever receive but I didn't really know what to expect. They seated us at a table and there was no menu and they asked us what we wanted to drink the size of the meal and how spicy we wanted it. I was so confused. In 2 minutes they brought us everything: meat in a salty sauce, beans, onions, cilantro, tortillas, chips, and salsa. Hahah, the food was really good and like they told me, the service was the fastest I'd ever received.

While Mariana was in the bathroom, all the waiters went to a table and sang happy birthday to a girl. Ale excitedly suggested that we tell them that it was my birthday and I agreed. But then I thought it would be better to surprise Mariana since she hadn't seen them singing. Hahah, it was so funny because she was surprised and because she had on her neck brace I suppose.

Afterward, we all went to the movies to see Jumper. It was amazing: you should see it if you haven't.





No comments:

Post a Comment