Monday, May 26, 2008

Fishing for Keys

Ale, Mariana, La Wuera and Rayme all finished their semester on Friday. Ale decided that she was going back to Vallarta for the summer since it would be cheaper for her and so she left on Saturday. Mariana is planning on leaving this Thursday or Friday for Vallarta as well.

Rayme's contract is up and since he is staying in Mexico until September, he decided he would rather live in Vallarta and find a job there for the remainder of his stay. So he is leaving Tuesday.

La Wuera never knows what her plans are and changes them frequently so I don't really know what she is doing. She has talked about going back to Brazil for the summer, about living in Vallarta and about going to the States.

Oswaldo will be done in 20 days and then he is returning to Puebla so it is going to be an empty house very soon once again...

On Saturday, La Wuera and I went to a birthday party of a friend of Paty (the girl that rents us our rooms). It was pretty far away but the music was good and there was free food, so I was content.

On Sunday, Rayme asked me if I wanted to go with him to visit a small town about an hour away with a friend. I thought that his friend was going to pick us up and we were all going there, but it turned out that she lived there and we were going to visit her. It also turned out that Rayme had met her on the internet and didn't even know what she looked like. Oh Rayme, how crafty of you to leave out certain details. Haha, anyway, I told him that I'd go nevertheless.

Unfortunately, Rayme didn't check the bus schedules before leaving and so when we got to the bus station, they told us the next bus left at 4 or 5. It was 11:33. That, or we could go to another bus station and see if they had buses leaving soon. But, since we would have to return to Guadalajara around 8, it just didn't seem worth our time to do that. So Rayme called his "friend" and told her he would come a different day and we returned home.

Mariana was in the common room about to leave with her laundry when she realized that she had locked her keys in her room. She has a window in her room and so we both went to it and looked inside to assess the situation. The window had security bars and so there was no way to squeeze through and the keys were at the exact opposite corner to where we were in her purse on her end table. I thought to myself, "How the heck can we get the keys? I know, I can get a clothes hanger and a rope and lasso it."

After I tried that for 10 minutes, Mariana decided she would call Paty. But Paty lives far away and the earliest she could come was in an hour. I really wanted to get the keys so she wouldn't have to come and because it seemed like a fun challenge. So I thought again about a different way to approach it. My main problem was the distance.

I noticed that we had two brooms with brushes that can be unscrewed. Luckily these two poles fit together. I scoured the house for other poles because the contraption still wasn't long enough: I disassembled my shower rod, the mops, the dustpan and even looked for poles in the closets but nothing else fit.

So I reinforced the connection between the poles with medical wrap since it wasn't really a perfect fit and I didn't have tape. Then, I strung the rope through the top hole of top broom. I reattached the clothes hanger to the rope and had a makeshift fishing pole.

La Wuera didn't know what was happening and came outside to see what I was doing. She found it funny and started taking pictures. After about 10 to 15 minutes, I had hooked Mariana's purse and unlocked her door. Hahah, it was awesome! I immediately called Paty and told her she didn't need to come which worked out well because she had just left her house. 5 minutes later, Mariana came back from the laundry mat and was ecstatic and also at a loss for words because she couldn't believe that I had actually gotten the keys.









2 comments:

  1. wow... great engineering feat chinoo
    and by the way the room... ehh a little messy. i know i know not yours

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah, thanks. Actually their room is pretty clean especially compared to my other roomies =P.

    ReplyDelete