Monday, May 5, 2008

Puerto Vallarta

The weekend started Wednesday after I got off work and ends tonight. I really wanted to go to the beach and so did Christa since she hasn't been to a beach in Mexico and is leaving for the States tomorrow. La Wuera and Rayme also wanted to go but Wuera changed her mind at the last minute and went to visit Ely in Leon instead.

My friend from the Masters program, Nilda, has family that lives in Vallarta and invited us to stay at her house. But they weren't leaving until Thursday in the morning and so we decided to go Wednesday night as late as possible so as to not have to pay for a hotel. Our bus left at 12:45 AM and we got there around 5 AM. I slept the whole ride and so it was great. Rayme was supposed to ask the bus driver to drop us off at Sayulita (a beach) so we wouldn't have to take a bus or taxi back from the way we came. Unfortunately, he fell asleep and so he didn't ask.

So we asked what beach was close by and decided on Playa Gemelas. It was about 30 minutes away and the taxi driver brought us to a hotel that was right outside of the beach. So I was thinking, "Oh great... this is a private beach. How are we going to get in?" The security guard stopped us and asked what room we were staying in.

At this point I'm thinking, "Hmm... maybe if I just say a random number he will let us in."

"212."
"212??"

I looked toward the back of the cab for help from Rayme or Christa. They remained silent. Fantastic.

"Okay, we don't have a room here. We just want to go to the beach."
"Oh, well the beach doesn't open until 9 AM and the entrance is over there."
"Thanks."

The cab driver went to the entrance and left us. It was around 6 AM. Let's see... wait 3 hours for them to unlock the gate or just jump it. So we were all pretty tired still and slept on the beach for a couple of hours. Unfortunately for me, there were a bunch of fleas or other insect and so when I awoke, my whole body was covered in bites.

The sand was pretty cold as was the water but during the day it felt great. Later, we went climbed on the rocks and tried to catch the crabs there. Rayme found an exoskeleton of one and I thought it would be funny if we scared Christa with it. She was laying on a rock not far away and so we stealthily crept up on her and threw the crab right beside her. She whipped around like she had just been hit by a karate chop.

There was a really big rock in the water near where we had out things and I told Christa to climb it so I could take so sweet photos. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to get to the top because the rock was slippery. It was pretty funny though because it reminded me of a cartoon when the character gets on an object and then the friction just seems to melt away. In my head, I heard the noise a squeegee makes.

We ended up staying at the beach until about 6 pm when Nilda and her husband Alberto came and picked us up. Nilda's mom was out of town and her dad stays in another house when he isn't working so we had the house to ourselves. Her parents are doctors and the clinic is attached to the house. Since there weren't enough beds for all of us, Rayme and I slept in one of the clinic rooms hahah. It was definitely a weird feeling to be sleeping in a "hospital" room. The smell was distinct. Not a bad smell, but different. Anyway, sleeping there was very comfortable. We had air conditioning and cable TV and I had my own bed.

So we showered and went to Malecón (where all the clubs and restaurants are). I was quite hungry as I hadn't eaten in 3 hours... well, I'm hungry most of the time anyway haha. Nilda told me, "John, everything here is expensive and the servings are not that big. If you want, we can go to a restaurant not that far away that has big sandwiches and doesn't cost as much as these."

Let's do it. My sandwich was about the size of my fist. Rayme ordered a cheaper sandwich and his sandwich was huge haha.

We went to Club Zoo and there weren't that many people but we danced anyway.

Nilda's friend is married to a guy that owns a Hacienda that makes Tequila and hosts tours of their land. So she arranged it so that we could take a tour on horses for free. (They also gave us free samples of the tequila they made there.) My horse was named Pellón and he was the most wild. By that, I mean that he didn't want to listen to me. Well, he listened to me when I told he to go faster, but didn't seem to understand me when I told him to slow down. Maybe it was my accent...

It was so beautiful out there. We trekked through a valley and crossed a stream to arrive at some hot springs. We bathed there for about and hour and headed back to the ranch. Again my horse didn't want to listen to me. To go faster, you make a kissing sound and Rayme thought it would be funny to blow kisses to my horse. Yeah, it was funny the first time, but the second time, it took me a good minute to get my horse to stop. Plus my horse wasn't galloping, he was trotting and so I was taking a beating to the crotch.

Here comes Rayme again... Hmm... I'll just avoid this problem by going super fast. He was off with a sprint. It was amazing. I was going probably 35 - 40 miles per hour, wind blowing in my face, matching the rhythm of the gallop. The rest of the group got to the meeting point about 10 minutes later. Take that Rayme haha.

Coming back, we saw a park and it had a bunch of gymnastics equipment. So I asked them to stop and I had a blast trying to do a T on the rings - let's say I need to work out a little bit before I'll be able to do that. Wish you could have been there with us Dad. ;-P Maybe another high school gymnastics reunion demonstration. Well, they didn't have Pommel Horse.

That night, Rayme went to meet some of his friends that had just arrived in Vallarta and Nilda, Alberto, Christa and I went to the movies. Nilda and Alberto wanted to see Made of Honor, but I really wanted to see Iron Man and so Christa and I went to that. It was amazing! You have to see it. It has Robert Downey Jr. and he is hilarious the whole movie. Plus the effects are amazing and the story was pretty good too.

Afterward, Christa and I met up with Rayme and his friends outside of Zoo and went to Senor Frogs. I didn't really like it that much except for the part where they played Soldier Boy and I knew the dance. My teacher friends were also visiting Vallarta and told me that they were in Club Mandala. So I headed over there. This club was much nicer but unfortunately people weren't really dancing that much.

The next day, we went to Sayulita and I wanted to surf but was really tired and lazy and ended up not doing it. But the beach was very nice. The sand was very hot and the water very cold. I wouldn't mind living closer to that beach =D. That night I didn't really feel like moving a lot and so I stayed in a watched TV while everyone else went to Malecón to go to clubs. If only I had known that Nilda and Alberto were going to a karaoke bar! Anyway, I saw the movie "White Chicks" and laughed a lot so that was good. And we ended up getting back to Guadalajara around 9 PM tired and content.




































No comments:

Post a Comment