Sunday, January 18, 2009

International Jobs, Curtains, Flag Football and Soccer

Last week, I spent practically the whole week and weekend applying to different schools in different countries. I applied to Tanzania, Spain, Egypt, Cyprus, 2 schools in Dubai, Germany, 2 school in Brazil, Bangladesh, Japan, New Zealand and Sweden. I also contacted a bunch of friends living internationally to see if they can hook me up. Unfortunately, the schools that I applied to all want 2 years minimum experience and usually hire through an organization. Joining the organization costs around $150 and then to go to a conference, it costs about the same. Then you have to factor in the plane ticket, getting time off work and getting all of your material together. So I am really hoping that my friends come through for me.

I am also working on getting my teacher's certification and so I have to take a couple of tests for that. Right now I am going to specialize in Instructional Technology and Middle School Math and I started tutoring in Math to help me study heh heh.

Last week, there was a lot of sunlight outside and I decided to open my curtains so I could feel more like I was outside while working. My curtains are about 12 feet long and are really office blinds. I had noticed before that they didn't seem like they were properly hung as they seemed to be at a slight incline but I had opened them before without problems. A little bit more...CRRRRaaaACK! SPLIT! BANNNNNNG! They crashed to the floor. I had a combination of feelings at the point. I had just throughly cleaned my room and now I would have to clean it again AND find a drill to reinstall them into the wall. At the same time, it was pretty funny.

On Wednesday, Matt invited me to play Flag Football at the American School. He, I and other American School teachers would be the "American" team and we were going to play against a Mexican team. Matt told me that the Mexican team played in a league and were really good and had beat them the previous 2 times they had played. He was right, they were really good and were beating us pretty badly only 10 minutes into the game. But we were constantly changing our strategy and started to come back. I think we still lost but we brought it to a much closer score.

Peter came out with me on Thursday to play soccer at the American School and we ended up playing for about 2 hours. It was great. Matt and I played soccer in our league on Saturday and were disappointed again that the other team didn't show up. However, it was fun to play amongst ourselves.

On Friday, Peter came out with me and we met up for Nicole's birthday at El Gordo. There were a lot of teachers from school there and afterward, we went to Nicole's boyfriend's (Jaime) place. Around midnight, Peter and I got hungry and went to get tacos in the street. Randomly a Mexican girl started telling us the story of how she met her Swedish boyfriend. Apparently, she was in Cancun with her friends and he came up to her and they spent the day together but he was leaving to CA and had to go. So he got her email and phone number. He tried to email her but she had forgotten to put the numbers of her email when she wrote it down and so he ended up calling her, saying that he had to see her again. Since she didn't have money and had to work, she told him that he could visit her in Guadalajara. Her mom wasn't too excited about the idea, until he came and saw how "beautiful" he was hahah.

She was telling me all of this in Spanish and I thought to ask the question of how often they communicate and in what language. She told me that they text each other in English - he doesn't know Spanish and she can respond better in English when it is written. She then proceeded to pull out her cell phone and showed me a text of his most recent message. From the message, I would say they have a "healthy" relationship and he is very attracted to her. Take that as you will haha.

Yesterday afternoon, I went Matt and Kerry to a Chivas game (a Major League Soccer team here). It was a great game and high scoring so it was interesting the whole game. Afterward, I met up with Katy, Armando, Caitlin, Paco and Andrea (Paco's sister) to eat at Barbaresco.

No comments:

Post a Comment