Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pátzcuaro, Morelia, and Tzintzuntzan

We had Monday off this week due to a holiday and therefore had a long weekend to rest and relax. Instead, we planned a trip and so it was busy but a lot of fun.

On Friday, I went with Katy, Armando, Chris and Jane to a birthday party of one of Armando's friends about 40 minutes away. There was a mechanical bull and obviously we got on haha. I stayed on the longest but got flung the hardest too heh heh. We didn't get back until around 2 AM and I had a soccer game at 9. We played really well and beat the other team 7-2. I was very tired and sore from all the running from that game and from playing 2 hours of soccer on that Thursday. However, I didn't want to stay in Guadalajara the whole weekend and around 1 PM we left for Pátzcuaro and Morelia.

I went with a bunch of people [Katy, Armando, Chris, Jane, Mary, Lauren, Chema, Vicente, Lucio, Carlos, Chely, Jose, and Mayte]. It was quite a drive there. I was told it was about 3 hours away, but it turned out to be like 5 haha. It was fine though because the car ride was a lot of fun.

When we got to the hotel, I was very tired and took a nap and then we went out to a bar with some live music. We got some pizza on the way back to the hotel that was so good.

The next day I woke up early and walked around the town and then went to the market and bought some yogurt with strawberries and cereal that they had just made. We had planned to leave at 10 AM to go to Janitzio [the island on the lake of Pátzcuaro] and so I didn't have much time to look around. But on my way back I spotted a shoe store and found 3 pairs that I really liked. Unfortunately, they couldn't find the pair to the Pumas that I really wanted (and they were so cheap too!!) but I ended up buying some turf shoes for soccer and some Urban shoes that I really like.

We stopped to eat some breakfast and then caught a boat to the island. The fishermen there use these big butterfly nets and it was funny to see one fisherman make a big catch and another caught a minnow. Janitzio is known for it's Day of the Dead celebration and so I was expecting that it would have a huge graveyard, but it was pretty small. The great thing about the island is that you hike up to the top to see a statue of Morelos and they have traditional dances up there. And all the way up, there are shops set up selling you food and little things.

When we got back from the island we headed to Morelia. The car ride there was a little squished but Chely, Mary and I were in the back and slept the whole ride. When we got there, everyone went to a restaurant to watch the Superbowl. I wanted to watch it, but I also wanted to see the town and so I walked around for about an hour and a half exploring the city. I saw the place where Morelos was born or lived (I don't remember), got some ice cream and saw 2 or 3 churches and plazas.

The Superbowl was a good game especially at the end. We were all going for the Cardinals since they were the underdogs but unfortunately it didn't work out haha.

On the way back to the hotel, Chris and I did some Gargoyle/Spider man pictures. When I got to the hotel, I realized that I had left my glasses in Pátzcuro... I called the hotel and they hadn't found them. Katy said that I could borrow her car and go there the next day to make sure. And so that is what I did... Unfortunately, they weren't there, but while I was waiting for the guests to leave so I could look in their room, I walked around Pátzcuro for about 2 hours and it was so pretty. There was one house called "Casa de once patios" where local artists set up shop and it was really cool.

When I got back to Morelia, it was time to head back to Guadalajara... so I thought. Katy and Armando's car was full and so I went with Vicente, Lucio, and Carlos and before going to Guadalajara they wanted to go to Tzintzuntzan [sounds Chinese, no? heh heh], which were some ruins close to Pátzcuaro. I didn't mind and it sounded like a good idea since who knows when the next time I would be around there would be. They were pretty cool, but the drive back was really long and I didn't get in until around 9:30 pm. All in all, it was a pretty fun trip and I'm glad I went.

I'm going to post my photos as a slide show as it saves me a lot of time. You can click on any photo to go to my album and see the pictures bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment