I went back to Moravia and stayed at Doña Rosa's house again. Actually, now that I think about it, I haven't written anything about her and I should. Doña Rosa is amazing: she is in her 50s, maybe 5'3" and somewhat plump (she says she needs to start walking again). She loves to talk about eating healthy and enjoying life and feelings and "what one must do" at times. Rosa is a constant giver and surveys you through rectangular photochromatic lenses when you say you've had enough food.
She has had an incredible life: she lived in Italy for a year and traveled around Europe; she has raised 2 sons, Mario and Jorge, and a daughter, María, who are all around the same age as me. María is going to the US this Friday to start her Doctorate and as most mothers do, Rosa worries more than she shows while at the same time knowing that this is an incredible opportunity for María and that María will do just fine.
There is a strong sense of family in most Latin homes I have visited and this one is no exception. The children would come over for meals and to hang out. They live in a house 5 blocks away and Rosa lives with her older sister Marta, which is the house I stayed at. It has 6 rooms and a lovely garden with a parrot. The first time I arrived at the house, she welcomed me with open arms. On night one, I felt like I was part of the family.
She cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner and even did my laundry. I was free to come and go as I pleased and she always asked how I was doing and if I needed anything. But it wasn't just her, the whole family looked after me and really made me feel welcome.
So when I got back to Moravia they were all happy to see me and told me that they were going to have a going away party for María Saturday night and Sunday they would be having a meal with all the extended family. I gladly accepted.
It was not yet Saturday night though; it was Friday and I wanted to hang out with some of the friends I made in the Masters class. So I called up Marisol and I went with her and 2 friends to Roberto's house. We had an amazing time singing, playing guitar and cajón. One of his friends showed us a magic trick where he takes a lit cigarette and makes it disappear. We couldn't figure it out even after he did it 4 or 5 times. Pretty sweet trick.
Saturday and Sunday were a lot of fun and I was sad to leave. Monday, Damaris, who is a friend of my grandma's that just happened to be visiting family in Costa Rica the same time I was there, came with her brother and sister-in-law to pick me up. We drove to see the Volcano Poás and afterward to see the waterfalls and wildlife in La Paz. I had never met Damaris before this and the main reason she wanted to meet me was because she is so impressed with my grandma. What a super person!
They dropped me off at my hostel in Alejuela and I met up with my friends John and Deana, who I met the first day I arrived in Costa Rica. We had a good time catching up and stayed up until 1 AM doing so.
No comments:
Post a Comment