Monday, July 5, 2010

San Jose and Cartago

This weekend, I went out with some of the teachers from the Masters program to some bars and then to Karaoke. We sang Total Eclipse of the Heart and Bohemian Rhapsody. Hilarious.

Saturday, I went with Renata and Natalie to Cartago. There wasn't much to see there besides the church and so we ended up going to a bar to watch the game. The bar was a hole in the wall and a grandma was the bartender. Her grandson and his friend who were about 10 years old were behind the bar and I had fun talking with them. A majority of the time was asking them about typical words from Costa Rica and we wrote out a list:

Pichudo - que bueno
Güila - muchacha o mujer
mae - amigo
compa - amigo
chosa - casa
cuadró - le gusta
molote - mucha gente
mejenga - futbol callejero
pifiar - como perder un tiro
chapa - malo
que madre - que mal
charita - como no tuvo tiempo
esta camote - esta loco
jumas - borracho

Sunday, I went to a huge 4th of July party held by the American Colony Committee at the only brewery in Costa Rica. It was a lot of fun. You only had to pay $5 and you could get as many hot dogs, bagels, drinks that you wanted. In addition, there were so many games: water balloon toss, volleyball, a batting cage, a ton of kids games, square dancing. There was even live music. I got a balloon for the day.

When I returned to Moravia, I went to Jorge's soccer game and then to a bbq. It was a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment