Stefano in his Italian accent: "John we go to Delphi for a paRrr-tE. Do you want to come?"
Me: "What kind of party is it?"
Stefano: "Oh I don't-ta know. Maybe you dress up like something. Yeah, it will be fine-na."
Me: "What are you going as?"
Stefano: "I go as Dracula. I bought-ta a ca-pe (cape) and teeth."
Me: "Oh, so it is a halloween party. All of the stores are closed and I don't want to go as a pirate again. How would that look on my blog? I wouldn't be creative at all."
Stefano: "John, yeah it's-sa no problem. You just need to dress up as something."
Me: "...okay, I've got it. I'm coming."
I had decided at that point to go as the most ridiculously dressed person. And so I took the skirt that I had used from the pirate party and put it on my head like a bandana and clipped it with a potato bag "sealer." I put on the woman's shirt that I had used for the pirate party and wrapped the suspenders Arlene had given me around my body like a weapon's clip or maybe a strap...I don't know. And for the finishing touch, I got Houda's huge glasses and put them on. Voila!
Stefano had already asked everyone else in the corridor if they wanted to go, but everyone was busy or something. He had asked Houda multiple times and each time she had said no because she had to study. But after seeing us decked out, she quickly changed her mind and dressed up like "fire."
When we got to the party it started out slow as usual. You have to get a feel for the place before you get comfortable. So for the first 30 minutes or so I mostly hung out with Stefano, Sabrina and Houda. We then proceeded to the dance floor which was a very wise decision. I talked and danced with 3 girls, 2 of which really liked Shakira. They proceeded to dance like her and so I tried to dance like her too. I think I did a good job but I do kind of wonder why they were laughing...Dancing is what I do you know? :-P One of the girls also demonstrated to me that she was double-jointed in her hands and shoulders and then did a backbend. Each time she performed a skill, she asked if I was able to do the same. No...no...no. I guess the Swedes do have the Americans beat hahah.
The third girl that I talked and danced with was Linda. Linda was dressed in a white fur dress. "Are you supposed to be an Ice Princess?" (Humorously offended) "Why does everybody say that?! Come on, who do I look like? I'm Wilma from the Flintstones." We had a fun time throughout the rest of the party dancing and talking. I thought it was especially funny that Stefano kept doing what I like to call the "Pay Attention" motion. He was joking of course, which made it more funny to me.
The "Pay Attention" motion is basically the "I'm watching you" motion where you point you fingers to your eyes and then point those fingers at the person you are signing it to; except it conveys more. When Stefano says "Pay Attention" in conversation, is a direct translation from Italian. In English we say "Careful" or "Watch it" and we emphasize each sound in the word(s). It is a way of bringing attention to someone as to what they are saying or doing especially in relation to their surroundings. What Stefano was really "saying" was "What would your girlfriend say?" The answer to that is so simple and great - have fun and tell me the truth.
All in all the party was a lot of fun and I realized that everyone there were just older kids. I think no matter how old you get you will still like to dress up. And there are always those people that act like the don't like to dress up - maybe because they are shy or don't want to get made fun of...I don't know. I hope that when I get older, I keep my kid mentality because it is refreshing and you feel more alive and happy.
Pictures:
1) Me "selling" oil.
2) Sabrina, Stefano and I.
3) Stefano thinking he was taking a picture of Sabrina and I when he had the camera turned around hahahha.
4) The second time Stefano tried taking a picture of Sabrina and I.
5) Marco and I dancing on the table (MJ was playing).
6) Still dancing on the table.





Pay Attention John... I'm waiting for you to learn Italian, so I can make fun of your american accent!
ReplyDelete