It was also a lot of fun meeting a ton of cool international students. We played soccer and frisbee and Phase 10 and danced and had a talent show and a camp fire etc. My favorite thing was probably the talent show. I really liked all the performances, but the salsa dancing, poetry reading and the step show were my favorites. Right before the talent show, there was a demonstration on belly dancing and we learned a few moves. I think I was one of the best hip poppers...probably not haha.
The speakers were okay. One talked about knowing what your passion is and not loosing site of it. One way to find this out is to think what you would do if money wasn't a motivating factor. Would you study the same thing?
I learned some cool culturalisms as well. For instance, taken from an American perspective, in Bulgaria when they say yes they shake their head no. I also watched a really inspiring documentary (Emmanuel's Gift) about a guy from Ghana named Emmanuel Ofosu Yeboah. He was born without a leg and his father left the family right after he was born. Instead of accepting defeat and becoming a begger, he applied for a grant to get a bicycle and dedicated his ride across Ghana toward helping people. And because he was able to do that with one leg he got a lot of press. Since there isn't a lot of support available to the people of Ghana with diabilities (according to the movie - 10% of the population), this was a huge step.
And now, I have lots of work to catch up on! Yeeeeeehaw! Dang my hair is getting so long too.

No comments:
Post a Comment