I'm so cool, too bad I'm a looser
I'm so smart, too bad I can't get anything figured out
I'm so brave, to bad I'm a baby
I'm so fly, that's probably why it feels just like I'm falling for the first time
I've always been interested in combinations of contradictions and oxymorons. Like isn't it strange "why feelings so strong make the body so weak?" And that the ones we love the most we can hurt the most and in turn can hurt us the most? I've heard that back in the day soccer players used to break their shins to make them stronger. When the bone would heal, the bond formed would make it extremely durable. I wonder if their legs ever felt the same? Can you imagine the pain and the time spent to learn to run again? Is this true for people too?
What happens when that person dies or you die? Can the bond still be made?
And what about the future of language? There are so many languages and slang. Bad can mean good. Hot can mean pretty. Inflammable actually means flammable. Wicked can mean awesome. Awesome which means "fearsome, mighty" can now be taken as cool. Cool is something cold but also something regarded as great or acceptable. There is a different method for everything. And those are just a few words from more modern English. What about old English or other languages?
It is a good thing we don't rely solely on literal interpretations of words to understand. But we try to. We make laws that must be followed to the T. No exceptions. We attempt to put ourselves in a defined box when the box is ever changing. We try to put other people in boxes as well and when we have enough boxes then we have a stereotype. What a strange contradiction.
Why do we do this? I'm not entirely sure, but I think it is how we have been taught to understand. Then again, maybe it is how we have been genetically programmed to understand. My favorite vignette from Waking Life talked about this:
When I say "love", the sound comes out of my mouth and it hits the other person's ear, travels through this byzantine conduit in their brain, you know through their memories of love or lack of love and they register what I'm saying and they say "yes I understand" but how do I know that they understand?...because words are inert, they are just symbols, they are dead...you know? And so much of our experience is intanglible, so much of what we percieve cannot be expressed: it's unspeakable and yet you know when we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and think we are understood, I think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion and that feeling might be transient but I think that is what we live for.
No comments:
Post a Comment