Monday, April 7, 2008

Ale and Paty Baptism

So I woke up at 8:30 and left immediately to go to Esme's house to go to Ale's babies' baptism. The originally had asked me to be the Godfather of one of the girls, but it turned out that I wasn't. I wasn't exactly sure why but my friend told me that to be a Godfather I either needed to be married or have a sister here with me. Anyway, it didn't matter because Ale's husband works out of the state and couldn't make it. So I was the step-in father. The called me "Papa John" ... or that is what I thought they said. I thought it was mildly funny because it is a Pizza company and my name is John haha. But what they were really say was "Papayon" which sounds exactly the same but means a very large person. Apparently, it comes from the name of the papaya tree in Spanish. I was wondering why people were laughing so hard hahah.

So the priest had a microphone and asked me (in Spanish of course) what the names of the girls were. I heard, "What is your name?" and I leaned into the microphone to make sure I could be heard well and answered properly for this question. Ale promptly took the microphone and said their names. Oops. Then the priest asked us why we had brought the babies to the church. Ale started talking about how she wanted her kids to grow up well etc. and the priest politely whispered, "You only need to say 'baptism'." Hahah.

After the baptism, they had a big party with lots of food and family. It was pretty fun but I wish I hadn't been so tired. I ended up getting home around 8, cooked for myself and went to bed.




















No comments:

Post a Comment