Monday, June 22, 2009

DR Updates

Last week was super busy for me. I had to catch up on my pre-course assignments plus do the work that was assigned for the week. Added on to that, I needed to find another place to couch surf as Angel had hosted me for a few days. So I left Wednesday morning to my classes with all my things knowing that everything would work out. And if I didn't find a place, I could always go to a hotel.

At the lunch break, I called up Marcia, who is a couch surfing host who told me that she already had 2 friends staying at her place and didn't have a lot of room. However, when I called her, she was very understanding and accommodating and told me how to get to her place. It turned out to be awesome because Maria from my class gives me a ride each day and Marcia lives very close to Angel.

When I got to Marcia's house, I had to finish my pre-course assignments and needed the Internet... Marcia doesn't have Internet but told me her neighbors are really nice and are teachers and I could ask them. So I ventured 2 floors down and knocked on their door. The conversation went something like this:

Uhhh... hi, I know this is going to sound weird, but I'm staying with your neighbor and she told me you all were really nice and I was hoping you would let me use your Internet to do my Masters project.

Oh, hey! Sure, come on in. Do you want something to drink. What's your name?

They were so nice! George is a computer teacher and Laura is a library teacher (soon to be an assistant principal) at the Carol Morgan School. They told me about how their Yorkshire, Obi, just the day before had been attacked by a Rottweiler. Their maid saw it happening and ran up and kicked the Rottweiler and snatched the Yorkshire out of his mouth. Obi went to the doctor and he found that Obi had 2 broken ribs. So when I came, they told me that Obi was usually quite the barker but wasn't as lively because of what had happened.

They also told me that they had met Marcia the day after she had been robbed. In my mind, "She was robbed? Am I staying in a safe place?" It turns out that she was back in the States visiting someone and had told the security guard that she would be gone for a couple of weeks. He must have been a corrupt security guard and told people. When she got back, everything in her apartment was gone - even clothes. All the doors except the patio were locked, which meant the robber must have scaled the wall 4 stories up. Anyway, I feel safe there but I don't leave anything valuable.

I ended up finishing my assignments and Marcia, Anika, Amira, Angel and I went to a bar and then to a lounge. Angel and the girls didn't really get along and ended up arguing. It happened as we were leaving and I didn't know they weren't getting along or even that anything had happened until Angel told me he was leaving. Talk about awkward.

On Friday, I sent Marcia a message when I got out of class to see if she was home and she didn't respond. I ended up going to her house anyway as all the Masters students were going out that night to the Zona Colonial at 9:30 and I needed to drop off my stuff and shower and change etc. I got to her house around 4 and she wasn't there. I saw that Laura was home and so I buzzed her apartment. Her maid answered and let me in. She was getting a pedicure and told me that people were coming over later for dinner. They ended up inviting me over for wine and dinner and it was incredible. I met the principal for the elementary school, Brian. He was a cool laid back older dude and I met George's mother who was very nice as well.

After dinner, George invited me to see their new apartment which was 2 streets down. It was really nice. I hope one day I get a place like that. It was around 5:30 and I finally heard back from Marcia, who told me that she was with her friends and wouldn't be back for a couple hours. So I went to the roof and opened up my laptop and did homework. I also took photos of the surroundings and took a nap.

Well, 9:00 rolls around and I send her another message to see if she is coming back before I go out with my friends from the Masters... no response. My friends from the Masters were a little bit late in picking me up - I think it is a cultural thing. In Mexico, there is Mexican time, which is 30 minutes late. Here there is Dominican time, which is an hour late. Anyway, I still hadn't heard from her.

We went to this really good Italian restaurant in the Zona Colonial. The view there was quite good as well. Afterward, I really wanted to go out dancing with them but I still had my things with me and I didn't feel like going back and then coming back out. Plus, it was 1:00 AM and I still hadn't heard from Marcia. I got to her house at 1:30 and just as I was planning to go to a hotel she called and told me that she was on her way.

No comments:

Post a Comment