Saturday, June 6, 2009

Renatho's Parents Dinner

Renatho is studying Hotel Business in college and in one of his cooking classes, they were having an exhibition dinner of what they had learned during the semester for the parents. Since his parents are in Peru, he invited Lauren and I to take their place.

He told us that the dinner started at 7:30. Since we were both in the Master class for the past 2 weeks, we didn't get out of class until 7:30 so we told him we'd be late and probably get there earliest 8:30. Fortunately, that day we had a test and got out of class early enough to get there at 7:30.

When we got there, I called him and he was like, "Oh thank goodness you got here early because they actually told me that it starts at 7:00." So he was running around trying to find where we were to bring us to the correct classroom [in this case it was a small ballroom]. When we got to the classroom, he was out of breath and it was his turn to introduce himself to all the parents and say what he had cooked. But since he didn't see what the other had done, he just said, "Hi, I'm Renatho from Peru." So everyone laughed, while the other students prodded him to say more.

The dinner was a 4 course meal - cerviche, a mushroom dish, steak for the men and salmon for the women, and sorbet with a caramel stick along with key lime pie. Everything tasted really good except for the steak which was rather dry. But, Renatho's dish was the dessert and it was definitely the best part of the meal.

At the end of the meal, they asked if any parents wanted to say any words to their sons or daughters. I had joked to Lauren that I hoped there was a point in the night where I could tell the crowd about how we came to birth Renatho. A few parents said some words and then I decided I would do the same.

"Renatho, my son from Peru... rather our son [and I turned to Lauren at this point who turned bright red and covered her face] ... from Peru. We are so proud of you. The meal was delicious. Thank you." As Lauren and I are pretty close in age to Renatho and we are both white and he is brown, it was pretty funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment