Monday, August 17, 2009

Moon Bar, Cas Abou Beach and Mount Christoffel

The first day of school went really well; my students are a lot of fun and know a lot so I’m excited to teach more advanced things soon. Friday, Victor sent out an email for Happy Hour at a bar called Moon. They have a pool right beside the ocean and so I brought my swimming trunks. The pool had these giant metal spheres floating around, taking from the bar theme. Hanging in the bar were giant metal spheres as well that served as lights. Check out photos at their site by clicking here and then clicking on Gallery. It's okay to be a little jealous. Then get over it and come and visit.

The weekend was great.

I bought Jessica’s bike on Friday. It’s a Trek and the frame and gears are in good condition. Unfortunately, the front tire was not. The only “bad” thing is that it is a woman’s bike, but honestly it doesn’t matter. So I dropped it off at the shop to get a quick tune up and picked it up today.

Saturday, Debby picked me up and we went to celebrate Gina’s birthday with Lisa, Zeina, Bob, Dave, Deborah and Angela. Where did we go?!! To the beach baby! Cas Abou is a 30 minute drive from Lisa’s house and totally worth it. Check the photos! Almost all the beaches are within an hour drive from my house and I’m really excited to go to all of them.

Debby, Dave and I had a fun time playing Frisbee and jumping off the dock. The water is incredibly clear and there are lots of fish with different colors. There are so many birds with vibrant colors and the flowers are wonderfully colored as well. I love this place.

Afterward, we went back and showered and then met at Lisa’s place for some dinner. Then we rushed off to the movies to see Julie and Julia. It was definitely a chick flick but it was fairly entertaining and funny at times. It makes me want to learn to cook. Finally, we went to a piano bar in the Fort called The Sopranos. The piano man was quite entertaining and humorous and sang a lot of random songs. I ended up getting home at 2 am…



And then I woke up at 5:30 am to hike Mount Christoffel with Erika and her Dutch friends. (The lighting was really nice for photos in my neighborhood and I took a couple of nice photos there.) We went so early because it gets really hot really quick here. It is a national park and so we stopped at the office and bought our entrance tickets. In the parking lot there were tiny flying insects that bit all of us. They were worse than mosquitoes because they were really hard to see and therefore, they were very hard to kill.

At the end of the hike, my shirt was dripping with sweat; it was not so much from the intensity of the hike but from the heat. It was quite nice to reach the top because there was a nice breeze to cool us off. It was even nicer to go back down because one of the people had brought a watermelon and it was super good.

I think I got home around 12 and when I got there, I was so tired. Unfortunately, I needed to go grocery store before it closed at 2 (later I found it closes at 5). I went next door to my landlady’s house since my laundry machine was not working. We ended up talking about her coconut trees and how the fruit was ripe. And then she gave me a machete and I cut a bunch down for her and she said I could have as many as I want. Anyone know some good recipes that include coconut? =D

So I put in my laundry and went grocery shopping. I was so happy after I put away all my groceries and hung my laundry to dry. I crashed in my bed and had one of the most wonderful naps in my life. Then, I woke up, folded all my laundry and ironed. Finally, I ate and cleaned my house and went to bed. Fantastic week.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to visit - I love the beach pictures, the park and the bar! Too much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awful place. With more posts like this you
    may be seeing us next year as new employees

    ReplyDelete