Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Teacher Meetings

We had training today and it was fun. The school brought in some improv coaches from Chicago and we did improv exercises the whole day. Monique also helped me get my bank account set up and helped me get a SIM card so now I have a cell phone! My eyes started bothering me again and so I decided to buy different contact solution to see if that helps... When I got home I talked with my landlady to get some things in my house fixed and then walked to the super market. Since I didn't have my contacts in, and it got dark pretty quickly, I got lost a few times, but I didn't mind. I did find out that almost everyone here has a dog though as each house announced my presence while I walked down the street. Oh, and my lost luggage arrived. Wahhoo!

Random observations: It is hot here. I can drink tap water and it tastes great. It is sea water that goes through a desalinization process and so it doesn't have any chlorine. They weren't kidding that 4 languages are spoken here. Papiamentu sounds a lot like Spanish and so I get a bit of it which is good. Dutch sounds like German to me and I understand practically nothing. The island is very diverse in peoples and cultures. I can't wait to get some "traditional" food. Everything seems to be really close by.

No comments:

Post a Comment