Friday, August 1, 2008

Surprises

I wasn't that excited to go back to Guadalajara. I was having such a great time being around my family and everyone is growing up so fast. Plus I wouldn't see my best friend, Jessica because she was moving in with her boyfriend in the States and then they were going to China together.

When I shut the door to my room to go to sleep, Nora, Jessica's best friend calls me. "How was your trip? Yada-yada. Listen Jessica has a present for you and she wanted me to give it to you today. Can you meet me at the Glorieta Chapalita around 6?"

"I don't really know how to get there by bus. Is there some reason that you want to meet there? It's kind of far from my house. Don't you live closer to Plaza del Sol?"

Somehow, she convinced me to meet her there. So after taking a nap and then doing homework with Katy, Katy drove me there. The Glorieta Chapalita is a round-about that has a park in the middle and Nora was sitting in the very middle. I didn't know what Jessica had gotten me but I didn't think it would take more than 10 minutes to receive.

Nora gets up from the bench and greets me and gives me the present. It is a book. However, before I can leave, she tells me that I have to read a note that Jessica had written and paper clipped to the cover. The message is written on a gridded paper with light and dark colors and I have to read the darker ones to decipher the message. All the letters are in capital and trying to delineate the words is not an easy task. I look up at Nora for help and she just shrugs and smiles.

After about 3 minutes, I had gotten through 1 sentence. I look at Nora again for help and she just laughs. I return to trying to decode. 2 more minutes pass and I feel someone tickling me. Who is touching me!? I turn around. "Jessica!? Wha-what?" I look back at Nora. She is cracking up. I look back at Jessica. "What are you doing here? [no response] Are you staying? [no response] WHAT IS GOING ON?!" Jessica and Nora are laughing beyond measure. After a few minutes, I finally get some answers - she decided that she didn't want to continue with her boyfriend or move in with him and really wanted to stay in Guadalajara.

Jessica had also told our boss Claudia that she wanted her old job back if possible. However, since her position had already been filled and they needed another computer teacher, Claudia had offered her my job. Claudia was going to email me about this but Jessica wanted to surprise me and so she refrained.

The computer teacher for Middle and High School was fired last year and they had offered me the job before but I really didn't want to because older kids have much more attitude. Now it is kind of my job without much choice, but I guess it has its own advantages as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment