Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fútbol 7 - Championship

Somehow I got the flu Sunday night and have been recovering all week. I went home early 2 of the days and I probably should have just stayed home one day to fully recover, but too late now haha. It was good that I went to school Thursday and Friday because middle and high school had Festival Ñ. It was kind of like a celebration of speaking Spanish and they showed films and had dances, etc. So I took a lot of great pictures.

Today, we had the finals for the soccer league I am in. Last week, we saw who we were going to play because they were the ones that won the game before us. I couldn't believe that they beat the other team because they didn't really have any good players and the goals they scored were all lucky. Plus the other team was really good and had 2 or 3 very solid players.

It was funny how they tried to make the finals special. They had a microphone and speakers and announced each of us onto the field and then played the Mexican national anthem. And so the game began. We were winning in the first half 3-1 and then one of their players got ejected for elbowing Marcos in the face. Unfortunately, the referees' calls in this game were atrocious. Even that card should have probably been a yellow as it was an accident and Marcos probably acted a little. Matt ended up getting a yellow card without even touching a player - we were a little confused about that. And in another play, their goal keeper slid cleats first into Matt and no call at all. Another time, I was tripped in full view of everyone and no call.

There was one good thing that came out of the whole bad reffing situation: because the other team and their fans didn't agree with their player getting ejected, their fans were yelling at us the whole time. We were being call actors and they kept saying that we were going to cry. I hadn't really paid attention to it until I was tripped and there was no call. All I heard was a female voice screaming over and over again that I was going to cry. And so I got up and looked at her and then smiled and blew her a kiss. She lost her train of thought for a second and then recovered, laughed and started yelling at me even more.

At the end of the game it was 4-4 and so we went to penalties. I went first and made my shot. Matt went second and made his shot. Marcos went third and the keeper blocked it. So, we got the second place trophy. The 2 goals that I did score were pretty sweet and seeing the look on that girl's face was priceless haha.

A big shout out to Kerry for taking all the sweet sweet pictures!

For the next 3 weeks, I'm going to be traveling and I don't know how much Internet access I'll have. So... I'll try to do updates, but that will depend if I have Internet or not and I probably won't be able to post photos. However, you can look forward to photos of me and some Australians at different beaches and ruins.

1 comment:

  1. Dammit John, I bet 2000 pesos on your team winning!

    ReplyDelete