Saturday, October 10, 2009

Car Trouble, Farms and Equis

Wednesday, the car took a while to start and the battery light was on while I was driving. After I picked up my contacts, the car wouldn't start at all and no one that passed by had any jumper cables. Luckily, the island is small and I was able to call up Ramiro and he got there in 5 minutes. Unfortunately, right when he got there, the car started. It was funny though because I randomly saw Ivonne and Jonathan during the time I was waiting and I've been seeing other teachers randomly during the week as well.

I took the car to the shop and Anthony knew what it was right away - the alternator belt. So he went and bought it and the car was good to go within an hour. I was really tired and slept most of the day but then Adam and Camilla called me up and we decided to check out the Ostrich Farm. Apparently, you can see, feed and ride ostriches there. And, they also have a restaurant where you can eat ostrich as well. Since Adam and Camilla just moved here, they didn't have time for all of that as they were going to a yard sale at 3:30. So after we got the info about when we could ride the ostriches [Tue-Fri and you have to make a reservation beforehand and it can't be raining], we decided we would come back a different day and check out the Aloe Farm instead. There were acres and acres of aloe and inside the shop they had windows on one wall that gave a view of the processing plant. On the other wall, they had a view of the lab with beakers and very wordy descriptions of the process they used. Adam and I got a good kick out of it all.

That night I saw the movie Surrogates. I really liked the movie as it relates a lot to what I want to discuss in my classes - the future of technology and how it will affect our lives. Debby called me up after the movie and told me she was at the piano bar, Sopranos. So we hung out there for a while and then went to TMF to karaoke. But, there was a dj that night and no karaoke that night and so we danced it up.

Thursday, I went out to eat with Adam and Camilla to Il Forno and then to soccer. I didn't run as much as I usually did on account that I had just eaten and more importantly, because it had rained the night before and there were some key wet spots on the court. I tried stopping on them and it felt like I was ice skating. Afterward, I went to De Heeren. I didn't know anyone there and so I just entertained myself by watching the live band and watching people.

Friday, Debby made chocolate chip pancakes and invited Lisa and I to have breakfast with her. Oh my! Those were some good pancakes! Then, I went to buy tickets for Victor's birthday party in Bonaire and reserve tickets to Columbia for Christmas. After, I went to Blue Bay Beach with Sarah and then picked up Mike and Gretchen from the airport. I'm so glad they are back! I missed hanging out with them.

There is a restaurant on the island called Equis that is only open on Fridays starting at 6:00 pm and the only thing they serve is chicken and beef. They are cooked on these giant skewers and then they are hung up above your table for you to pull off and eat. I had never been before but had been told that there is a line that forms well in advance. Mike, Gretchen, Brian, Jonathan, Erika, Debby, Lisa and I got there around 5:30 and tailgated to reserve our spots. We saw some parents from the school there and later on we even saw some more teachers. The food was amazing... unfortunately, I ate too much and was completely stuffed and exhausted by the end of it. And so I went home around 9:30 and slept!

No comments:

Post a Comment