Sunday, October 11, 2009

Playa Forti and Jaanchie's

Saturday, it rained in the morning and was overcast all day, so we didn't end up going to the beach. I still wanted to explore though and took this opportunity to take the bus for the first time. There are 2 types of buses here - the long ones that are air conditioned and go on a schedule and minivans that come all the time. It took me 10 minutes to get to Punda and then I walked to Otro Banda where the movie theater is. I watched The Informant starring Matt Damon. From the previews it looked hilarious but it was somewhat disappointing and a bit random. After the movie, I decided that I wanted to walk home and see how long it took me. So a little over an hour later I was home. (I did have to make a stop at the most amazing gelatto place on the island first.)

My landlady, Amal, invited me to dinner while I messed with wireless connection on her computer. Today, Mike and Gretchen picked me up in the morning and we went to Playa Forti. We were told that we would be able to do cliff jumping there and we weren't disappointed. It was a pretty nice beach and we talked to some of the locals who were very nice.

After, we went to eat at Jaanchie's and split some dishes between the 3 of us. I tried iguana for the first time. It was really good, but had a lot of small bones. I really liked the fish though. I believe the waiter said it was Grouper fish but I can't remember. At Jaanchie's they put small pails of sugar out and hundreds of birds come and eat it up. Pretty cool, but makes me wonder about the birds' diets.

On the way home, we took the scenic route (well, everything here is scenic... so the more scenic route) and I took a lot of pictures. We passed by a soccer game and watched for a couple of minutes and then continued to home. What a great vacation. I'm really tired now though. I hope I can stay up so I can sleep through the whole night.

No comments:

Post a Comment