Thursday, August 9, 2007

Guadalajara Day 3

Catching the bus today was much easier. I met a ton of teachers today as the previous day was for new teachers only. And it is hard to remember everyone's name, so I made a copy of the teacher pages from last year's yearbook. Today was pretty intensive. When I was first contacted about the job, I was emailing Claudia, who is the elementary principal. Then I also received an email from the Pre-Elementary Principle Jeanette. And the director of the school, Melody, was the one giving the presentations to everyone. On top of that I met Gaby today, who is in charge of the computer classes. I was so confused as to who I report to, but now I know that I report to them all except for Melody. I feel like I'm in Office Space and I'm going to get memos about TPS reports :-D

I got to organize my classroom a little today...mostly just took a bunch of books out of boxes and put them on a shelf. After I had done so, Pablo told me that I probably wouldn't be using those books wah wah wahhhh. Tomorrow, I have to organize the rest of the stuff, paint/paper the bulletin board and check all the computers. When I get out, Eréndira is going to take me around to help me find a place to live. I want to find one so badly - just a place that I can call my own and then I won't have to be asking people to stay at their places etc.

I tried getting a cell phone plan today when I got off work. Unfortunately they don't have any pay-as-you-go plans but they told me that I could go to the main office and they could make a plan for me. So I went there and the SIM card didn't work because they have to unblock it specifically for their company and they don't unblock cell phones there. So I gave up, but I met a really cool teacher named Albert that told me that I could have his old phone and so hopefully I can find him tomorrow.

I was quite exhausted from attempting to communicate all of that in Spanish and just wanted to go back to my hotel but I was hungry. So I stopped by Gigante and bought some cereal and bananas - that will be my dinner and breakfast tomorrow haha.

Later on I heard a band outside of my hotel and they were at the soccer fields next door cheering for their team. I wanted to check it out and watched them play for about an hour. I really wanted to play but it is an organized league so I could not.

Tomorrow is the last day in my hotel and I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to stay - Danielle is looking into letting me stay at her friend's place since she has no room and I will ask teachers tomorrow if I can crash on their couch or something. It is a little awkward for me since I hardly know anyone but then again it will really help me get incorporated into the school if I do so. This weekend I'm going to keep looking for a place to live and maybe some of the teachers will go to the beach or something...oh yeah, and I'll have to plan out what the heck I'm going to be teaching hahah.

No comments:

Post a Comment