I never thought explaining such a simple concept would be so hard. Save As... makes a completely new file whereas Save only saves the file you are working on. But my problem was that I didn't relate it to the students. Most of them are new to computers and don't really know what simple terms like "File" and "Program" mean. It only makes sense to build their learning off of what they have learned before and yet I missed that. Thanks to Arlene, I was reminded.
I really like the kids here and they like me a lot but I hate it that they only want to play games. I know that they like learning but that is always 2nd in their mind. And I understand - they are kids and just want to do whatever they believe is fun. It is a long path to make them understand that they are having fun learning. It is a frame of mind.
This week I showed the 5th Graders how to record sound and add effects to it and then how to put it into PowerPoint. They had so much fun and we were all laughing with the sounds they produced.
The Pre-Kinder through Pre-First all learned how to use paint and we had a blast drawing happy faces and fish and computers. Still they wanted to play games hahah.
Yesterday I was supposed to meet Esmeralda and Alejandra at Gran Plaza. To get there, I take the 629 bus and then I get off at Plaza Gallerias and take the 629-1 or 629-2. When I got on the bus in front of my house, it was labeled 629-2. In addition, whenever I get off at Gallerias, the plain 629 continues on the road to Gran Plaza and so I thought to myself, "I wonder if I will get there with this bus?"
I was on schedule to arrive at 6:30. And then the bus took the left lane instead of the right. I hadn't ridden this bus enough to know at that point it was not going to Gran Plaza and by the time I realized, I was about 10 minutes away. I could have gotten off then and taken a Taxi, but I'm cheap and I would rather walk instead.
"Wait a second! This bus has to turn around sometime soon and when it does, I can just take the right bus to Gran Plaza," I thought eagerly. An hour later, I had toured the city - I saw the City Arches, the City Arcs, the Cathedral, what seemed like every major statue of the round-abouts and what's this? Ahah, I am currently passing my house! Meh, my friends are still waiting for me. I shouldn't get off now and disappoint them. My initial arrive time was 6:30. I arrived around 8:30 tired and not in a talking mood. Esmeralda, Victoria and Raul go to school right beside Gran Plaza and so I met them at the food court. They were on break from classes and Esmeralda wasn't feeling well.
About 10 minutes after I got there, everyone went to class, Alejandra took Esme to the doctor and I took a bus home hahah. So the majority of my day was spent riding the bus and though I was quite tired, I'm kind of glad it happened. I did get to see the city after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment