Sunday, December 9, 2007

Tiger

I am supposed to decorate my classroom each month with the main holiday of that month. But, I have never had the time because all of my free time was used to plan the week or rest hahah. So after 3 months, I finally started decorating. Jessica bought a festive balloon for her classroom and gave me one as well. I also now have a computer picture by my door with a Santa Claus hat. I cut out snow flakes from recycled paper and painted my bulletin board blue. Then I drew Santa Claus working on his computer and an Elf that says that Santa loves computers in white out. Finally, I cut out colored paper and taped it to the bulletin board to make it pop out more. I don't think any of the student noticed any of the decorations hahah. Still it was fun to do something related to design.

Friday after school, the Parent Association held a posada. Apparently a traditional posada has a play of sorts where one group won't let Joseph and Mary into their house and finally they do and then everyone has a bunch of food to celebrate. This was more of a Christmas festival with a bunch of activities for kids. They had inflatable games: an obstacle course, a huge volleyball, a soccer field and a boxing arena. They also had a place to get your face painted, a place to paint pictures, and a place to make bracelets.

As soon as the food was ready, I was in line. I had 2 quesadillas - one with flor de calabaza and the other with mushrooms. They were amazing! And later I had 2 churros for dessert (which was a mistake as it has a lot of oil). I think that I'm a lot different than most of the other teachers. Maybe it is because I am young, but I don't think so. Anyway, I really enjoy playing with the students and so I challenged a few of them to the obstacle course and boxing and I had a great time playing "volleyball" with everyone too. And I also got my face painted. I would have gotten all my face painted but I was planning to go to Victoria's bday party at a bar and didn't think they'd let me in. So I got a small soccer ball instead. I think the churros got to my stomach though and when I got home my stomach was hurting and so I didn't get to go to Victoria's bday party and went to bed.

On Saturday, I was feeling better and went to the zoo with Esme, Ale, Karina, Emanuel and Eli. It was a lot of fun. I got my face painted like a tiger and then everyone else got their faces painted too. That was when we got there and so we walked around for a couple of hours like that. It was really funny to see people's expressions. I really liked seeing the different animals too. They had hippos, rhinos, lions, tigers and bears oh my. There were also these really cool looking squirrels that were gray with black spots I think. Maybe they are interesting to me because I haven't seen any like that before.

Afterward, Eli and I were going to go to India's place to help her move her stuff to her new apartment but we were hungry and stopped by Burger King first. We still had our faces painted and I ordered food while she went to the bathroom to wash her face. When I got my food and turned around, there were like 8 kids behind me looking at me. I chuckled and said, "Hola!" They smiled and ran away. Eli then came up to where I was and started filling her drink and after I told her about the kids, we turned to where they had run and their whole table of like 20 people were looking at us smiling. I didn't really know what to say, so I just kept smiling as we walked to the exit. Then I "licked" the top of my hand and "combed" my hair and said in the best Spanish cat accent that I could muster - "Aaaaaa-di-osss niiii-ñosss!" They laughed and continued to watch us through the window as we walked to Eli's car.






No comments:

Post a Comment