Friday, December 21, 2007

Tonala, Primer Piso, Teulloc

Ah! Vacation!!! I received a lot of gifts from students... so much chocolate hahah. So I was organizing my chocolate and it would take me over a year to eat all of it so I brought most of it out to the kitchen and wrote a note telling my flatmates to take whatever they want. Eli is "mad" because she keeps taking some haha.

I've heard that there is a huge Tianguis in Tlaquepaque (Tla-k-pa-k) and another in Tonala but that the one in Tonala is less touristy and cheaper. So of course I wanted to go there first. I called a bunch of friends but only Adriana was available and wanted to go. So I took the bus to meet her at ITESO and then we took a bus to the Tren Ligero. Then we took Line 1 from Periferico Sur to Juarez to jump on line 2 to Tetlán which we found out means "Place of Rocks." From there we took the 614 to Tonala. We could have just taken the 707 but neither of us had seen that bus before, but according to the bus map, that is what we could have done haha.

We walked around for about 2.5 hours. They had so many Joseph, Mary, little baby Jesus and animals things for sale. They also had a lot of arts and crafts, which I love. I found some really great gifts there and am looking forward to giving them away! I also tried some "traditional" food - carmel cover nuts (nuez garapiñada). They were goooood. And in case you were wondering the name of the traditional chair here, it is called equipale. Do a google search. They are cool. Wish I had a place to put one. It is amazing how much stuff I have accumulated and I have only been here a little over 3 months.

We were in an artist's shop.
Adriana: So do you like any of the paintings?
Me: Yeah, I like that one, but I know it is going to be too expensive and besides it is too big to fit in my room.
Adriana: Well ask the price.
Me: Why? I'm not going to buy it.
Adriana: Because I need to use the bathroom. Señor, cuanta cuesta?

After about 5 more minutes of her asking prices, she finally asked if she could use their bathroom.

When she came out, we danced around a little more with the prices and then I told her and the guy selling the paintings that we would ask my father and return later. Hahah.

Afterward, we took the 614 back to the Tren Ligero and I got off at San Juan de Dios to meet some new friends - Stephanie and Carolina. I met them at ITJ one day when Stephanie was observing a dance class that she might be helping with. Carolina is really into music and plays the Sax and I hope I can see her play soon. Anyway, they were actually at Juarez and so I got back on the Tren and then we went to a cafe/bar called Primer Piso (1st Floor). It was actually on the 2nd floor if you are from the States because here the ground floor (planta baja) is floor 0. It was really nicely decorated. The walls had red velvet cushions as did the ceiling and it had what I describe best as bachelor pad lighting.

When we were leaving, I realized that I was only a block away from where Juliane lived and a block away from Haus de Kunst. Primer Piso was the bar that Juliane had recommended to me haha.

Jose, Eli and I had planned to go to Teulloc to see Radaid but I needed to change first. I took the wrong bus home but eventually made it home. At Teulloc, we met Paty, a woman who I will be studying the Masters with at CUCEA, and her friends. I really liked this cafe/bar too. They had this independent film of different dances looping on the wall behind Radaid and they had high ceilings. They had good lighting too but not as cool as Primer Piso. Really good food and drinks though.

I'm going to see my family in 5 days!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment