Handstand Photos by the Statue of Liberty
This consisted of me giving Kezia the camera and saying, “Okay Zia, I want me and the whole statue in the photo. Ready? 1! 2! 3!” As you can see by the first photo where only my legs are showing it didn't work out exactly as expected hahah. But it is one of my favorite photos ever.
The random guy at Grand Central Station
When we came out of the station, we were trying to figure out how to get to Times Square and a janitor was out in the streets and saw me with my camera. “Yooooooo! Yo man! Take a picture of me.” Okay. “Wait. Wait. Let me get ready.” I'm looking around waiting for something to happen. I'm thinking, “Maybe I'm on a TV show and someone is going to attack me or this guy is going to do something funny.” He takes off his red worker shirt and pulls his chains out from under his white shirt, puts on his sunglasses and does a pose. La Wuera is fascinated and deeply humored. “John, I want a photo with him.” She gets in the photos and they do other poses. “That's how we do it in New York boiiiiiii! Yo, can you send me that photo?” So he finds a pen and writes down his address for me and while he's doing that, he's asking me if I am a producer or involved in film because he wants to start a career. He's telling me that this isn't the first time that he's done random pictures with people and I tell him that I can tell he has experience. “So has anyone sent you a picture yet?” He replied no and so hopefully I will be the first.
Yves' comment on women's shopping
On our way to Times Square, Yves took us down Lexington Ave where there are a bunch of street shops. He immediately regretted it. Wuera was in heaven. The whole trip she had been complaining that she had no money and no space to put things in her luggage and now she was going from street store to street store looking at everything. Unknown to Yves and Mariana, they are very similar: they are both impatient.
Yves commented to me, “I don't understand this woman. She has no money and so she cannot buy anything. She doesn't even know what she wants. When I go out for something, the first thing I do is look to see if I have money. The second thing I do is think about what I need.”
I responded, “Good luck getting married and having kids.”
Times Square had so many people. I really liked New York because everywhere I went, I heard another language. It was so cool. In Times Square you really get lost though. There is just so much going on all at once... so many people passing. You feel insignificant there and yet part of something there. It was really a strange combination of feelings.
Superhero exhibit at the MET. We got to see the costumes worn in the movies of Batman, Iron Man, Catwoman and others. It was pretty cool.
Central Park is amazing. New York was worth the visit just to walk in it. Why doesn't Guadalajara have a nice park like that?!
Wuera and I saw Wall-E in Atlanta and Yves had seen it before as well. At one point she was calling him and he wasn't responding so she started saying his name in as many ways as possible just like Wall-E did in the movie. “Eeeeeeeeeeeve-EEE?” “EeeeeeveE-E!” She did that for the rest of the trip. Hilarious.
Also, she lost her camera in Boston and so every other picture I took she asked, “John, take me a picture?” and then she would ask to see it and tell me, “I love it.” But because of her accent and the way she forms words, she rolls her tongue when she says this and it sounds more like, “I lauv it.” We've been mimicking her ever since.











































No comments:
Post a Comment