Thursday, December 21, 2006

Germany

Robert, Chris and I stuffed Robert's car to the brim with our stuff, Leo's presents and a few of Daniel's things and then with a last minute hugs from everyone we drove off to the Motherland. 30 minutes later we were back...since someone had forgotten his passport! Yeah, that was me hahah. It seemed the futher south that we went, the colder it got. Maybe that was because we were driving further into the night. I was sitting in the back and it was cramped. I tried taking off my jacket and there was hardly any room to do so. I felt like I was in a straight jacket - struggling to get free from my trap.

When we arrived at the ferry from Denmark to Germany, we got to take our first nap. It was glorious. My sleep schedule has been off for the past 2 weeks and any sleep is good sleep. The waves were quite strong though and when we walked, we would walk to the right and then back to the left. I was quite amused by it, but Chris felt a little sick. After driving some more through Germany, Chris started to drive, Robert went in back and I was up front. At first I was fine, but then the lack of sleep started to catch up with me. But then Robert and Chris switched again and I went to the back and was able to sleep. However, Chris started to sleep too, so Robert pulled over at a rest stop and we all slept for a bit.

Gabi, Chris' mom picked us up and we said goodbye to Robert. When I got in the car, there was so much more room and it was great. But I was still quite tired. As we drove through the country side, I was taken aback by how beautiful everything was. The fields were bright green - well a lot brighter than a the winter Germany country that I had imagined. We passed a couple of castles and small villages on the way and I loved the architecture.

We arrived at his house and it is very impressive. It is built out of wood and it sits on a hill. I was given Andy's room and then we went upstairs to eat. I love going to other countries and trying new foods. She had cooked us lasagna and Chris and I both had seconds. By 5 pm it was dark and by 8:30 I was in bed. I slept until 10:30 the next morning.

When we went the following day to see some museums and castles, I could not keep awake on the way back. It was quite embarrassing because Chris and Gabi were talking to me in the car and I didn't realize that they had asked me something. hahah. We didn't get to make it to any castles but I saw 2 of Wurth's museums - the modern art one and another one that was situated in an old town. I liked the second one better because you could touch a few of the pieces. Below is a picture of Chris and Gabi "arguing" about paying for parking or not. hahah

For lunch we had meat wrapped in pasta and meat wrapped in egg - traditional foods for this region. We also had pretzels and potato salad which are also very German. For dinner, one of their neighbors brought over a salmon he had smoked and it was fantastic.

Tomorrow, we leave to ski at 5:30 AM. We are going to Austria! It's going to be 10º C below freezing! Ah!







No comments:

Post a Comment